Friday, February 13, 2009

Green Homes: Stylish Plant Life

I wanted to write a post about indoor plants - they are so important to incorporate into your eco-home, as they do wonders for air quality. However, too often they just look so-so, taking up a corner of the house pathetically dropping leaves every so often just to remind you they're alive. So, I decided to take it upon myself to find interiors that incorporate plant life stylishly. The key is to keep it simple: don't overclutter with too many plant species, and rooms with busy patterns must be dealt with carefully. My favourite: greenery in an all-white room. Lovin' it!

Part One: Stylish Planters. Your plants will never do it for you if you don't start with a good planter. Here are just a few of the many I found:


Introduce a little levity with the 'Weeds' planter by Arwin Calouj



Herb planter by Sagaform


Smith and Hawken Mangowood Planter
(Might be a good DIY project)


By Metaphys


The Eggling (so adorable!).


Part two: Incorporating plant life into your decor. Here are a few examples of stylish rooms that incorporate plants. Make a feature of it!

Elle Decor
I love the dramatic statement these ferns make!

Domino
Green and white! I told you!

Elle Decor

I'm in love with this photo by photographer Tim Young. This is a really good example of using plants as a feature. Image via Desire to Inspire

This one is from my own home. I thought I'd include it as a) I love Gerbers (they'll keep going forever, just trim them back), and b) according to Treehugger, Gerbers are among the top five plants for improving indoor air quality!



p.s. - keep posted for my Vintage Friday post tomorrow, a day late, but better late than never. Featuring the Arco Lamp for Flos!
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. I love all of these plants and the holders they come in! Gerbers are one of my favorites, and I didn't realize that they improved air quality! Thanks for teaching me something new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that either - I thought spider plants were the best, but apparently not. Thank goodness, cause Gerber's are so much prettier!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails